Τετάρτη 21 Μαρτίου 2012

Hello bloggers.

I was rather busy lately and haven't posted frequently. But I was far from idle. I was making books for some clients and preparing for the workshops I will give. I was trying to compile the kits, fixing dates for my new mixed media and coptic workshops. I am also enrolled in Tim's online class and I attend an art journaling group that is super fun but very time- consuming.

In the meantime I experimented with new materials and got some practice in bookbinding with my new τεζάκι (bookbinder's sewing frame). I will post a photo soon - it was custom made for me and I really like it!

The book I want to show to you today, is binded using the coptic stitch. It is a bookbinding method developed by Copts (Early Christians in Egypt ) the 2nd century AD. This time I experimented with Balsa wood.

Balsa wood is one of the most lightweight woods in the world. Balsa trees grow naturally in the humid rain forests of Central and South America. Balsa needs a warm climate with plenty of rainfall and good drainage. For that reason, the best stands of balsa usually appear on the high ground between tropical rivers. The small country of Ecquador on the western coast of South America, is the primary source of balsa wood in the world.

And after all this education, here is my book:






That's it for today - I promise to come back soon to announce the dates for my new workshops- although in April we have the Easter vacation and I am thinking that perhaps we should take a break and spend sometime with our families. Tell me what do you think.

8 σχόλια:

  1. Είναι εκπληκτικό !!!!!!!!!! Το ξύλο είναι απίστευτο και πραγματικά το δημιούργημα αποτελεί μικρό έργο τέχνης βγαλμένο απο άλλη εποχή!!!! Ναι,έρχεται το Πάσχα....χαχα..ναι καλό είναι να περνάμε χρόνο με τις οικογένειες μας ,εγώ όμως που λατρεύω τα workshops σου με τα χαράς θα έκλεβα χρόνο απο το οτιδήποτε !Ας περάσει το Πάσχα και μετά ποιος μας πιάνει!!!

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  2. balsa me!!! αχ Μυρτώ τι μου κάνεις;;; ΤΙ μου κάνεις;;; θέλω κι εγώ! το ξέρεις ότι η Μπόκαρη έτσι με φωνάζει, ε; "Τι; ΤΟ ΘΕΛΩ"

    Θα κάνουμε και balsa workshop! Μετά το Πάσχα, εεε;;;; Κι εγώ θα έρθω!

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
    Απαντήσεις
    1. Καλημέρα! Πάλι δεν μπορω να αφήσω σχόλια παρα μονο μεσω απάντησης..
      Είναι απίθανο Μυρτώ μου και με τα αγαπημένα μου χρώματα!!! Μου αρέσει που οχι μονο ξέρεις τις τεχνικές αλλα γνωρίζεις και την ιστορία τους, έτσι είναι οι σωστές δασκάλες :) Ανυπομονώ για την επόμενη συνάντησή μας!!!

      Διαγραφή
    2. Ευχαριστώ κορίτσια - αφού έχω τέτοιες πιστές μαθήτριες τι άλλο θέλω. Θα κανονίσουμε σύντομα - έχω κάτι στο μυαλό μου!

      Διαγραφή
  3. Beautiful book cover! I love the colors you used and the texture you achieved! Thanks for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  4. Gorgeous book with a very detailed Coptic binding. Love this project! Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή